Kilmaine Forges

Photo:The Blacksmity by Charles Grant Beaugard (1856-1919)

The Blacksmity by Charles Grant Beaugard (1856-1919)


Photo:Outside blacksmiths

Outside blacksmiths

Photo: Evelyn Keane

by Evelyn Keane

O’Brien’s Forge

O’Brien’s forge was situated between Dooley’s house and Lyon’s house of to-day.

Joyce’s Forge

Joyce’s forge was situated opposite where Joseph & Winifred Joyce’s house now stands.  

Blacksmith services

During the years of compulsory tillage the blacksmith’s services were required by every farmer, whether it was shoeing horses, making and repairing ploughs; he made iron gates, spades shovels, bolts and screws.

Both forges were situated beside the road. Passers by would call in for a chat, others with some work for the smith.  Sadly the blacksmith is no longer required. 

This page was added by Averil Staunton on 03/10/2011.
Comments about this page

That's correct. It was situated in front of where Tom Butlers house is.

By ISecondthat
On 07/04/2014

There was also a forge on the Ballinrobe Road in the town land of Ballymartin, of which Murty Gibbons was proprieter.

It was possibly where Tom Butler's house is now?

By Murty gibbons
On 29/04/2012

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.